Open Monument Day

The Open Monument Day is coordinated in Germany by the German Foundation for the Protection of Monuments (DSD) but is celebrated throughout Europe. Since 1999, the German Foundation for Monument Protection has issued a motto / guiding theme that municipalities can follow.

Numerous places that are otherwise difficult to access open up for visits. Others reveal previously well-hidden facets. The aim of this nationwide event is to sensitize the public to the importance of cultural heritage, to arouse interest and understanding for the concerns of monument preservation, but above all to give monument owners, restorers and volunteers the recognition they deserve. After all, the day offers everyone who sets out to visit a variety of encounters, conversations, insights and findings that enrich and perhaps also impress.

Schein & Sein in Geschichte, Architektur und Denkmalpflege“ - Denkmaltag 2021

In diesem Jahr findet der Tag des offenen Denkmals am 12.09. statt und steht unter dem Motto „Schein & Sein in Geschichte, Architektur und Denkmalpflege“. Ein Motto, dass hervorragend zum Nachdenken und Diskutieren einlädt. Es berührt die Fragen von Bildpflege und/vs. Substanzschutz, von Rekonstruktion, Kopie und Authentizität, von Verstellen und Verstecken, von Lug und Trug, von Bescheidenheit und Prunk, aber auch Vergänglichkeit und Stetigkeit.

Da sind zum Beispiel die vielen historistischen Gebäude, die mal die Romanik, mal die Gotik oder auch die der italienischen Renaissance aufgreifen. Sie können gern zu einem Rundgang mit Stilraten aufbrechen. Allein beim Volkshaus – das in diesem Jahr leider nicht dabei ist – bieten die Fassaden interessante Details. Oder begeben Sie sich mal auf einen Spaziergang durch das Damenviertel – auch hier finden sich Zitate verglorifizierter vergangener Epochen.

Wunderbar zum Motto passen auch die Beispiele material- und architektur-illusionistischer Oberflächengestaltungen: marmorierte oder Edelhölzer imitierende Holzflächen (z. B. Kita Dornröschen), Blindfenster, wie samtige Tapeten scheinende gemalte Wandflächen (z. B. Ricarda-Huch-Haus), Wandvertäfelungen, die nur mit Farbe und Pinsel auf den Putz aufgebracht wurden (z. B. Haeckel-Haus, Komurhaus), täuschend echte 3-D-Malerei an Decken und Wänden (z. B. Villa Straubel oder Optisches Museum).

Konservieren – Restaurieren – Rekonstrurieren

Kulturdenkmale sind körperlich definiert. Denkmalschutz dient dazu, das körperliche Zeugnis in seiner stofflichen Existenz zu schützen. Die historische Substanz in ihrer Gestalt und Materialität ist Träger der Informationen. Ihr Verlust beeinträchtigt die Authentizität und den Aussagewert des einzelnen Objektes, oder auch der Sachgesamtheit, des Ensembles.

Daher ist Ziel der Denkmalpflege nicht nur der Erhalt eines optischen Eindrucks, sondern der Substanz. Denkmalschutzgesetze sind eben keine Gesetze zur bloßen Ortsbildpflege. Deswegen wird um jedes Fenster, jeden Sparren, jede Diele gerungen. Der Maximalerhalt der geschützten Substanz ist Ziel und Aufgabe der Denkmalpfleger und der Schutzbehörden bei der Bewertung jeder Maßnahme an Kulturdenkmalen.

Dies gilt es bei jeder Maßnahme bei jedem einzelnen Objekt und im Objekt bei jedem authentischen Bauteil neu in Abwägung mit anderen z. B. Nutzerbelangen bestmöglichst zu erreichen. Der Abbruch geschützter Substanz führt zu deren unwiderbringlichem Verlust. Eine Kopie kann nur den Schein wahren, nicht aber das Kulturdenkmal oder den Denkmalbestandteil wiederbringen.

Alles wie immer beim Denkmaltag 2021?

Im vergangenen Jahr bestand aufgrund der Corona-Pandemie das Programm für Jena vorwiegend aus digitalen Formaten von Live-Veranstaltungen über neue Webseiten bis 3-D-Modelle und bot ergänzend nur wenige analoge Besichtigungsmöglichkeiten, diese v. a. in geöffneten Denkmalen ohne Führungen. Auch in diesem Jahr hat die Stadt Jena angesichts des Pandemiegeschehens lange überlegt, ob und wie sie sich am Denkmaltag beteiligen kann. Schließlich ist in Abstimmung mit den Denkmaleigentümer*innen und Restaurator*innen ein kleines, aber wie wir meinen feines Programm mit entsprechenden Hygienevorschriften entstanden.

Die meisten Veranstaltungen/Führungen sind auf kleine Gruppen begrenzt. Um die Kontaktnachverfolgung zu gewährleisten und die Durchführenden vor Ort zu entlasten, sind hier Voranmeldungen über die Untere Denkmalschutzbehörde (in Einzelfällen auch beim Veranstalter direkt) vorgesehen.

Die Voranmeldungen für die entsprechend ausgewiesenen Veranstaltungen werden telefonisch am 07.09.21 und 09.09.21 09:00 - 12:00 Uhr sowie 15:00 - 17:00 Uhr unter Telefon 0049 3641 49-5141 entgegen genommen oder können per E-Mail an denkmalamt@jena.de gesandt werden.

In sämtlichen Räumen ist zudem ein medizinischer Mund-Nasen-Schutz / FFP2-Maske zu tragen.

Natürlich kann es trotz allem noch zu kurzfristigen Änderungen und Absagen kommen. Darüber wird entsprechend in Presse und im Netz informiert.

Die digitalen Dauerangebote wurde nicht gelöscht. Die Webseite zu den besonderen Bäumen ist nach wie vor abrufbar wie auch die 3-D-Modelle besonderer Orte. Allerdings sind sie selbständig ohne online-Führung zu begehen.

Das Programm in Jena

Von Materialillusionen, scheinbarer Idylle und verborgenen Schätzen – die Universität öffnet drei herausragende Objekte

Villa „Medusa“ - Ernst-Haeckel-Haus

Das einstige Wohnhaus Ernst Haeckels wurde 1882/83 errichtet und ähnelt in Kubatur und Fassadengestaltung römischen Renaissance-Villen. Es wurde 1920 als Museum für den wissenschaftlichen und künstlerischen Nachlass Haeckels eingerichtet.

Die seit 2017 laufende und nunmehr fast abgeschlossene Sanierung bemüht sich, die originale Gestaltung der Räume zu ermitteln und für zukünftige Besucher wieder sichtbar zu machen. Bemerkenswert sind nicht nur die berühmten Medusen, sondern – passend zum diesjährigen Motto – insbesondere auch die architektur- und material-illusionistische Wandgestaltung.

  • Ort: Berggasse 7
  • Geöffnet: 10:00, 11:00 und 12:00 Uhr - Führungen mit max. 15 Personen mit Herrn Dipl.-Rest. M. Bruckschlegel
  • Anmeldung: über die Untere Denkmalschutzbehörde (UDSchB)
Frommannsches Anwesen

Der Gebäudebestand des Anfang des 19. Jh. zusammengefassten Ensembles reicht bis ins 15. Jh. zurück. Unter dem Verleger und Buchhändler Carl Friedrich Ernst Frommann wurde der Ort zum „Vereinigungspunkt vieler Gelehrter und Künstler und sonst angesehener Personen“ (Goethe).

Ein bauhistorischer Schatz versteckt sich im Westflügel. Hier befindet sich eine farbig gefasste Bohlenstube aus dem 17. Jh.

  • Ort: Fürstengraben 16
  • Geöffnet: 10:00, 11:00 und 12:00 Uhr - Führungen zur Bohlenstube mit max. 6 Personen mit Kustodin Frau Dr. B. Forster
  • Anmeldung: über die Untere Denkmalschutzbehörde (UDSchB)
Ein sorgloses Idyll? - Schillers Gartenhaus

Der Garten, der in den Jahren um 1800 noch vor den Toren Jenas am Ufer der Leutra lag, ist ein zentraler Ort deutscher Geistesgeschichte. Während der drei Sommer, die Schiller hier mit seiner Familie verbrachte, entstanden Teile des „Wallensteins“, der „Maria Stuart“ und die berühmten Balladen für den „Musenalmanach“. Zugleich war der Garten ein Ort für Geselligkeit und intellektuellen Austausch. Am Steintisch fanden die abendlichen Gespräche mit Goethe statt, der bei seinen Aufenthalten in Jena fast täglich Schiller im Garten besuchte.

  • Ort: Schillergäßchen 2
  • Geöffnet: 11:00 - 17:00 Uhr, Führungen: 11:00, 13:00 und 15:00 Uhr: jeweils max. 10 Personen mit Herrn Dr. S. Schlotter
  • Anmeldung: über die Untere Denkmalschutzbehörde (UDSchB)

Die Lobdeburg wurde um die Mitte des 12. Jh. als Herrschaftssitz einer aus Franken stammenden Adelsfamilie erbaut. Im 13. Jh. größtenteils niedergelegt, erfolgte Anfang des 14. Jh. die Neubesiedlung. Infolge einer Erbteilung wurde die Burg verkleinert und umgebaut. Nach einem Brand Mitte des 14. Jh. wurden einige Gebäude nachmals wiederhergestellt oder neu errichtet.

Letzte Baumaßnahmen sind für Ende des 14. Jh. nachweisbar. 1448 endet die Nutzung mit dem Tod des letzten Besitzer Johannes von Lobdeburg-Burgau.

Die malerisch gelegene Burgruine wird heute vor allem durch den dreigeschossigen Donjon, eines monumentalen Wohnturmes englisch-normannischen Typs, bestimmt. 2018 erfolgte die denkmalgerechte Sanierung dieses Bauwerks, die nun auch einen Einblick in die Wohnverhältnisse der einstigen Burgbesitzer erlaubt.

  • Treffpunkt: an der Bank oberhalb des Treppenaufgangs von der Gaststätte zur Ruine
  • Geöffnet: 09:30 Uhr: Führung um die Burganlage mit Herrn Dr. M. Rupp
  • Anmeldung: über die Untere Denkmalschutzbehörde (UDSchB)

Die heute weithin sichtbar auf dem Fels ins Saaletal ragende sogenannte Binderburg wurde 1906 – 1910 nach Entwürfen von Prof. Adolf Binder als Wohnsitz für seine Familie in Erweiterung eines bestehenden Landhauses erbaut. In Anlehnung an den kulturhistorischen Ort der ehemaligen Burganlage rezipiert die Villa in neo-romanischem Burgenstil den mittelalterlichen Palaisbau.

Im Zentrum steht der massive viereckige zinnenbekrönte Turm, an den sich ein achteckiger Fachwerk-Turm mit spitzem Zeltdach anschließt. Selbst das Zitat einer romanischen Halbkreis-Apsis mit Zwerggalerie zeigt sich an der Villa. Das Spiel von Bruchsteinmauerwerk und Fachwerk, Rundbogenfriese und mehrteilige gekuppelte Rundbogenfenster unterstreichen die Anlehnung an den romanischen Burgenbau.

Die spezifische Gestaltung der Villa hat einen hohen Symbolgehalt, vermittelt sie doch "den Eindruck des Fortbestehens der historischen Anlage". Verstärkt wird diese Wirkung durch den standort- und umgebungsbedingten ortsbildprägenden Charakter.

  • Ort: Am Lindenberg 2
  • Geöffnet: 13:00 - 17:00 Uhr - kleiner Mittelaltermarkt mit Musik und Eseln
    • 13:00, 14:00, 15:00 Uhr - Führungen über die Burganlage und um die Villa mit dem Eigentümer, Herrn Dr. M. Willsch
  • Anmeldung: über die Untere Denkmalschutzbehörde (UDSchB)

Ein englischer Landschaftsgarten zeichnet sich dadurch aus, dass er ausgehend von den natürlichen Gegebenheiten eine Art begehbares Landschaftsgemälde schafft. Hierfür werden sowohl das Gelände sanft topographisch überformt als auch durch Gehölzgruppen, Einzelgehölze, Wiesen- und Wasserflächen Kulissen gebildet.

Der Drackendorfer Park in seiner heutigen Gestalt als englischer Landschaftsgarten wurde Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts auf Anregung des ansässigen Rittergutsbesitzers von Ziegesar angelegt, wobei eine bestehende ältere Parkanlage teilweise überformt und erweitert wurde. 1854 wurde der so genannte Tee-Pavillon errichtet.

Seit 2018 konnte der Park dank Förderung durch das Bund-Länder-Programm "Soziale Stadt" allmählich auf seine ursprüngliche Gestaltungsidee zurückgeführt werden. Dabei wurde das Wegenetz instandgesetzt und rekonstruiert, der Brunnen reaktiviert, ein neuer Teichpavillon auf historischem Fundament und zwei Brücken errichtet sowie der Park um zahlreiche Pflanzungen bereichert. Auch der Teepavillon wurde entsprechend denkmalpflegerischer Zielsetzung restauriert.

Dem sich um Ortskern und Park seit Jahren sorgenden Heimatverein steht zudem für Veranstaltungen ein neuer Funktionsanbau zur Verfügung. Am Tag des offenen Denkmals wird - quasi nachträglich - der Park endlich offiziell eröffnet. Diese Veranstaltung ist nur teilöffentlich. Im Anschluss werden aber Führungen durch die Anlage angeboten.

  • Ort: Drackendorf, Alte Dorfstraße
  • Geöffnet: 14:00 Uhr - offizielle Eröffnung des Parks ( Anmeldungen über UDSchB), 15:30 und 17:00 Führungen mit max. 20 Personen mit Frau E. Zimmermann (Kontakterfassung vor Ort)

Der romantische Friedhof wurde bereits 1307 erwähnt und bis in das 19. Jh. mehrfach erweitert. Ursprünglich gehörte er zur Kirche St. Johannis Baptist.

In der parkähnlich gestalteten heute noch ca. 1,8 ha großen Anlage finden sich eine Vielzahl an Grabstätten bedeutender Jenaer Persönlichkeiten, darunter auch die von Döbereiner, Kreußler oder Carl Zeiss. Einige von ihnen sind kulturhistorisch von solch herausragender Bedeutung, dass ihrer Restaurierung auch von der Deutschen Stiftung Denkmalschutz gefördert wurde.

Seit einigen Jahren engagiert sich der Förderverein Johannisfriedhof für Erhalt und Pflege der wertvollen Anlage. Aufgrund seiner Bedeutung als innerstädtische grüne Oase wurde der Johannisfriedhof in das Städtebauförderprogramm „Zukunft Stadtgrün“ aufgenommen. Gemeinsam arbeiten Denkmalpflege, Naturschutz, Stadtumbau und Verein an einer sensiblen Sanierung und teilweisen Restaurierung des Friedhofes.

  • Ort: Philosophenweg 1
  • Geöffnet: 10:00 - 18:00 Uhr
    • 10:00 - 17:00 Uhr: Johannismarkt
    • 13:00, 15:00 und 17:00 Uhr: Führungen durch Mitglieder des Fördervereins (Treffpunkt vor dem Gärtnerhaus, Kontakterfassung vor Ort), Treffpunkt: Eingang „Straße des 17. Juni"

Friedenskirche/Garnisionkirche

Als Jena im Jahre 1672 Hauptstadt des Herzogtums Sachsen-Jena wurde, erbaute man ab 1686 auf Bestreben von Johann-Georgs II., Herzog von Sachsen-Eisenach diese Kirche auf dem Gelände des alten Johannisfriedhofs. Die Kirche wurde nach ihm benannt, aber das Herzogtum hatte nur kurzen Bestand. Bereits zur Einweihung gab es das Jenaer Herzogtum nicht mehr. Es war 1690 an die Eisenacher gefallen.

Im Jahr 1743 wurde die Kirche der Jenaer Garnisongemeinde zugewiesen und in Garnisonkirche umbenannt. Seit 1946 nennt man sie Friedenskirche. Nach umfassender Sanierung bis 2010 hatte man 2013 einen Hausschwammbefall festgestellt, der eine erneute Sanierung des Innenraumes erforderte. Dank Spenden und Förderung konnte im November 2016 die Kirche wieder geöffnet werden.

  • Ort: Philosophenweg 1
  • Geöffnet: 10:00 - 17:00 Uhr
  • kompetente Ansprechpartner zu Baugeschichte und Epitaphien vor Ort (Kontakterfassung vor Ort)

Bismarckturm und Forstturm

Bei gutem Wetter bietet der 1871/-74 als Denkmal für die Gefallenen des Jenaer Bataillons im Deutsch-Französischen Krieg erbaute und 2009 sanierte Forstturm phantastische Ausblicke über Jena und die angrenzenden Täler. Dies gilt auch für den 1909 als monumentalen Aussichtspunkt nach Plänen von W. H. Kreis zur Würdigung des Reichskanzlers errichteten Bismarckturm, in dem eine anlässlich des 200. Geburtstag des Reichskanzlers konzipierte Ausstellung Interessierten offensteht.

Der Bismarckturm bedarf einer dringenden Instandsetzung. Brüstungssteine mussten bereits abgenommen, Notanker gesetzt und das unmittelbare Umfeld gesperrt werden. Auch auf solche Bedarfe aufmerksam zu machen, ist Anliegen des Denkmaltages.

  • Ort: Auf dem Forst
  • Bismarckturm geöffnet: 10:00 - 16:00 Uhr (max. 6 Personen glztg.)
  • Forstturm geöffnet: 10:00 - 16:00 Uhr

Ernst-Abbe-Denkmal

Der monumentale Gedenkpavillon, dessen Entwürfe auf Henri van de Velde zurückgehen, wurde in den Jahren 1909/1911 zu Ehren von Ernst Abbe errichtet. Im Innern beherbergt der achtseitige tempelartige Zentralbau Bronzereliefs von Constantin Emile Meunier und eine Marmorherme von Max Klinger mit der Porträtbüste des Unternehmers und Sozialreformers der Zeiss-Werke.

Der in eine Grünanlage eingebettete Pavillon bildet das Zentrum des Carl-Zeiß-Platzes. Der achteckige Zentralbau gilt als Gesamtkunstwerk europäischen Ranges, dessen Wirkung und Aussagekraft unmittelbar in Zusammenhang mit seiner Umgebung steht. Es befindet sich nicht nur unmittelbar an der Wirkungsstätte Abbes, sondern seine Platzierung ist auch symbolisch begründet. Gemeinsam mit dem Zeiss-Hauptwerk, dem Volkshaus und dem ehemaligen Wohnhaus bildet es den Ort der Besinnung im Dreieck aus Arbeit, Leben und Kultur.

  • Ort: Carl-Zeiß-Platz
  • Geöffnet: 10:00 - 18:00 Uhr
  • Kompetente Ansprechpartner vor Ort

Villa Rosenthal

Der zweifache Universitätsrektor und sozial- wie kulturpolitisch hoch engagierte Jurist Prof. Eduard Rosenthal war Mitverfasser der Statuten der Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung und gilt als Schöpfer der „Thüringischen Landesverfassung“. Das 1890/91 nach Plänen des Berliner Architektenbüros Kayser und von Großheim errichtete Wohnhaus für ihn und seine Frau Clara entwickelte sich bereits kurz nach dem Einzug der Familie zu einem der kulturellen Mittelpunkte des bürgerlich-geistigen Lebens in und um Jena. Heute wird es nach aufwändiger Sanierung für Ausstellungen, Kulturevents und Feiern genutzt. Es ist zudem Teil des dezentralen Denkmals für Eduard Rosenthal „Erkundungsbohrungen“.

Die Villa besticht durch ihre äußerst repräsentative Gestaltung, die jedem Raum stilistisch einer Epoche anlehnte. Bis heute haben sich Fragmente einer monumentalen Wandmalerei, Rokokoapplikationen, Wandvertäfelungen und diverse Jugendstilelemente erhalten. Die Villa ist eingebettet in einen rund 4000 m² großen parkähnlichen Garten mit historischen Baumbestand und Gedenkpavillon.

  • Ort: Mälzerstraße 11
  • Geöffnet: 12:00 - 17:00 Uhr „Gegen das Vergessen“ – Ausstellung
    • 14:30 Uhr: "Drei späte Ehrungen für Eduard Rosenthal" - Musikalischer Vortrag mit Dr. D. Ebert und O. Räumelt (Akkordeon), Voranmeldungen unter: villa.rosenthal@jena.de

Stadtkirche St. Michael

Anstelle zweier romanischer Vorgängerbauten entstand ab dem letzten Viertel des 14. Jh. ein gotischer Kirchenbau von Rang, der Bezüge zur böhmischen und oberschlesischen Parlerkunst zeigt. Die Kirche wurde als als sterngewölbte, gestufte Halle mit unterschreitbarem Chor angelegt. Ihr architektonischer Höhepunkt ist das filigrane, in den letzten Jahren denkmalgerechte restaurierte Brautportal.

Mit dem Bau der spätgotischen Hallenkirche entstand unter dem Hochaltar zudem eine zunächst flachgedeckte Sakristei mit repräsentativer Vorhalle. Die Erschließung beider Räume erfolgte von der Westseite axialsymmetrisch zur Kirchenachse. Nach späterer Einwölbung und Teilnutzung als Kapelle der Heiligen St. Elisabeth und Ägidius wurden die Räume ab 1672 als Familiengruft der Herzöge von Sachsen-Jena umgebaut.

  • Ort: Kirchplatz 1
  • Geöffnet: 12:00 -17:00 Uhr
    • 12:30, 13:30 Uhr - Kryptaführungen mit Fr. K. Elsässer mit max. 10 Personen
    • 18:00 Uhr - musikalische Vesper
    • 20:00 Uhr - Konzert im Rahmen der Thüringer Bachwochen – Informationen und Tickets
  • Anmeldungen über Denkmaltag21@stadtkirche-jena.de bzw. an der Information in der Kirche

Burgau, Dreifaltigkeitskirche

1701-03 errichtet, erfährt die Kirche seit Anfang der 1990er Jahre umfangreiche Erhaltungsarbeiten. So wurde die bei der zeittypischen Ausmalung 1884 verlorengegangene barocke Innenraumgestaltung nach Ergebnissen der restauratorischen Farbbefundung rekonstruiert. 2018 wurde der Fußboden saniert und ergänzt.

  • Ort: Geraer Straße 69
  • Geöffnet: 08:00 - 20:00 Uhr, Ansprechpartner vor Ort
    • 13:00, 14:00 und 15:30 Uhr: Führungen mit Herrn T. Keßler

Lobeda, Kirche St. Peter

Der heutige spätgotische Kirchenbau entstand zwischen 1480 und 1510 anstelle einer bereits 976 und 1228 erwähnten und 1446 im Sächsischen Bruderkrieg zerstörten älteren Kirche. Der Chor wurde erst Ende des 15. Jh. angefügt. Weitere Umbauten sind bauinschriftlich für 1622 belegt. Im Innenraum finden sich wertvolle spätgotische Wand- und Deckenmalereien. Dazu gehören u. a. monumentale Darstellungen des Hl. Christophorus und der Madonna im Strahlenkranz, die in den vergangenen Jahren sensibel restauriert wurden. 1749/50 wurde das Langhaus eingewölbt und die Doppelemporen sowie die Orgelempore und die Orgel von Johann Heinrich Scherff eingebaut.

  • Ort: Altlobeda, Susanne-Bohl-Str.
  • Geöffnet: 14:00 -17:00 Uhr - kompetente Ansprechpartner vor Ort
    • 10:00 - 11:00 Uhr - Gottesdienst zum Schulbeginn

Zwätzen, Kirche St. Marien

Die im 12. Jh. erbaute romanische Saalkirche war seit dem 13. Jh. Teil der Komturei des Deutschen Ritterordens. Dessen Niederlassung in Zwätzen wurde 1221 erstmals urkundlich erwähnt. Ende des 15. Jh. wurde die Kirche nach Abbruch der romanischen Choranlage durch einen gotischen Chor und eine Seitenkapelle erweitert. Zwischen 1513 und 1597 errichtete man den Turm. Weitere Umbauten folgten In der 2. Hälfte des 17. Jh. In den Jahren 1991-93 wurde der Innenraum auf der Grundlage restauratorischer Befunde neu gefasst.

An der Marienkirche befindet sich mit einer Datierung auf 1223 eine der ältesten Dorfkirchentüren Mitteldeutschlands. Bedeutsam sind auch der dreiflüglige Schnitzaltar von 1517 mit der Figur des Priesters Hugo von Zwätzen, eine spätromanische Christusfigur, die Barockorgel von Orgelbaumeister Scherff aus Pößneck sowie Grabplatten mit den Wappen der Land- und Hauskomture, Epitaphien, das barockes Grabmal für Anna Sophia v. Treschow und die Einbaumtruhe aus 13. Jh.

  • Ort: Zwätzen, Pfarrgasse
  • Geöffnet: 12:30 - 17:00 Uhr
    • 13:00 und 15:00 Uhr - Führungen mit Herrn F. Bürglen (Ortskurator der Deutschen Stiftung Denkmalschutz)

Winzerla, Kirche

Die als Filial von Burgau gegründete Kirche wurde 1716 -1718 als Ersatz für einen älteren Bau errichtet. Die alte Dorfkirche war 1637 von kaiserlichen Truppen niedergebrannt worden. Der nach dem Dreißigjährigen Krieg errichtete Bau wies bereits 1716 so schwere Bauschäden auf, dass die Gemeinde beschloss, eine neue Kirche zu bauen.

Der Neubau aus Muschelkalk zeigt ein einschiffiges Langhaus und einen quadratischen, im oberen Teil oktogonalen Chorturm mit geschweifter Haube errichtet. Die Innenausstattung stammt aus dem Jahre 1818. Zum 100jährigen Bestehen wurden zwei Emporen, Orgel und Kanzelaltar neu errichtet. 1934 wurde schließlich die gesamte Kirche neu ausgemalt.

  • Ort: Teichgasse
  • Geöffnet: 08:00 - 20:00 Uhr
  • Ansprechpartner vor Ort

Nicht im Faltblatt tauchen auf, aber haben geöffnet:

  • Bockwindmühle Krippendorf
    • Zur Windmühle, 07751 Jena
    • geöffnet ab 10:00 Uhr; Führungen nach Bedarf
    • Erläuterungen zur Mühle im Außenbereich (auf der Mühlenwiese), Getränkeangebot
  • Jenaplanschule/Südschule
    • Tatzendpromenade 9, 07745 Jena
    • geöffnet ab 10:00 Uhr; Führungen nach Bedarf

Bauforscher und Ingenieur Lutz Scherf und Restauratorin Christiane Opitz informieren zum Tag des Offenen Denkmals zur Baugeschichte der Alten Göhre und zu Befunden, die Grundlage für die jüngste Sanierung der Neuen und Alten Göhre waren.

Die Alte Göhre zählt zu einer Reihe von Gebäuden, die aus der Übergangszeit vom Späten Mittelalter zur Frühen Neuzeit stammen und die bis heute am Jenaer Marktplatz vollständig bzw. in Teilen erhalten sind. Mit dem Baudatum 1550 gehört das Haus zu den im Stadtgebiet frühen Stockwerkbauten mit einem für die Zeit fortschrittlichem Fachwerk. Neben den baugeschichtlichen Erläuterungen an der Alten Göhre bezieht Lutz Scherf auch weitere Gebäude am Markt in die Ausführungen ein.

Die Befundsituation an der Göhre ist schwierig und dennoch sind Baubefunde für eine denkmalgerechte Sanierung unerlässlich. Über die Hintergründe von Sichtbefund bis Archivrecherche berichtet Restauratorin Christiane Opitz, die im vergangenen Jahr auch auf dem Gerüst an der Göhre unterwegs war.

  • Ort: Markt 7, Stadtmuseum
  • Geöffnet: 14:00 Uhr - Führung mit max. 15 Personen mit Herrn Scherf und Frau Optiz
    • bei mehr als 15 Teilnehmenden wird die Gruppe geteilt
  • Anmeldungen an der Museumskasse (oder telefonisch unter 0049 3641 49-8250) ist vor der Teilnahme erforderlich.

Der Rundgang ist zum Tag des Offenen Denkmals kostenlos (Eintritt in das Museum nicht inbegriffen).

Review

Open Monument Day 2020 - everything a little different

"Opportunity Monument: Remember. Preserve. Rethink."

Wust once again, the German Foundation for Monument Protection has chosen a motto that leaves a lot of room for interpretation and yet describes in just a few words the core of the work and commitment of monument preservation and conservation: Preserve - Remember - Show Opportunities. At the same time, the motto highlights the special importance of sustainable action and thinking - not only in and for historic preservation.

Sustainability is on everyone's lips - but often it has almost degenerated into an empty phrase. The term, which originally came from the forestry industry, is now shaping our everyday lives as never before; yet we are only at the very beginning of a change towards a more sustainable way of life. A change that is urgent and that the German Foundation for Monument Protection would also like to actively promote (quote DSD).

The programme in Jena - analogue and digital

This year the Day of the Open Monument will take place on 13.09.2020, but differently.

Due to the CoronaPandemic the German Foundation for Monument Protection as organizer has decided to celebrate to celebrate this year's action day contact-free and virtually - that is, to take place exclusively digitally.. All events will be collected and published for you on a website of the foundation.

The decision of the DSD means a far-reaching withdrawal from the established coordinating role and transfers the organisational and coordinating responsibility of this event to the municipalities more than before. In view of this and the continuing uncertainty regarding possible event formats, the city of Jena thought long and hard about whether and how it could participate at all this year.

The result is a small, but we hope nevertheless interesting program, which contains a mixture of a few analog offers, references to open monuments without special guided tours, digital live events and other digital formats. The digital Open Monument Day is a first for all of us. Without spatial boundaries, monuments can be experienced, new perspectives become visible, a new form of mediation is tested. We therefore ask for your indulgence if not everything is as perfect as you expect.

„Chance Denkmal: Erinnern. Erhalten. Neu denken."

Wieder einmal hat die Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz ein Motto gewählt, dass viel Raum für Interpretationen lässt und doch mit wenigen Worten den Kern der Arbeit und des Engagements der Denkmalpflege und des Denkmalschutzes beschreibt: Erhalten – Erinnern – Chancen aufzeigen. Gleichzeitig stellt das Motto die besondere Bedeutung nachhaltigen Handels und Denkens heraus – nicht nur im und für den Denkmalschutz.

Nachhaltigkeit ist zwar in aller Munde – jedoch häufig schon fast zu einer Worthülse verkommen. Der Begriff, der ursprünglich aus der Forstwirtschaft kam, prägt heute wie niemals zuvor unseren Alltag; dabei stehen wir erst ganz am Anfang eines Wandels zu einer nachhaltigeren Lebensweise. Ein Wandel, der dringlich ist und den auch die Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz weiter aktiv vorantreiben möchte (Zitat DSD).

Das Programm in Jena - analog und digital

In diesem Jahr findet der Tag des offenen Denkmals am 13.09.2020 statt, aber anders.

Aufgrund der Corona-Pandemie hat die Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz als Organisatorin entschieden, den diesjährigen Aktionstag kontaktfrei und virtuell zu feiern – also ausschließlich digital stattfinden zu lassen. Auf einer Internetseite der Stiftung werden alle Veranstaltungen für Sie gesammelt und veröffentlicht.

Die Entscheidung der DSD bedeutet einen weitgehenden Rückzug aus der etablierten koordinierenden Rolle und überträgt den Kommunen mehr als bisher schon die Organisations- und Koordinationsverantwortung dieser Veranstaltung. Die Stadt Jena hat angesichts dessen und der andauernden Unsicherheit hinsichtlich möglicher Veranstaltungsformate lange überlegt, ob und wie sie sich in diesem Jahr überhaupt daran beteiligen kann.

Herausgekommen ist ein kleines, wir hoffen aber dennoch interessantes Programm, das eine Mischung aus wenigen analogen Angeboten, Hinweisen auf geöffnete Denkmale ohne spezielle Führungen, digitalen Live-Veranstaltungen und weiteren digitalen Formaten beinhaltet. Der digitale Tag des offenen Denkmals ist für uns alle eine Premiere. Ohne räumliche Grenzen werden Denkmale erlebbar, neue Perspektiven sichtbar, wird eine neue Form der Vermittlung erprobt. Wir bitten Sie daher schon jetzt um etwas Nachsicht, sollte nicht alles so perfekt sein, wie Sie es erwarten.

I. Events on site

The range of classical - so to speak analogue formats - has been greatly reduced. Please note the current notes and regulations and show mutual consideration and patience.

The Church St. Marien Ziegenhain is located in the heart of the village, whichs itself under protection as a monument ensemble. The unfinished pilgrimage church with its late Gothic choir bears witness to wealth and decline, but also to pragmatism, of the longevity of natural building materials and solid, good craftsmanship. and thus fits in wonderfully with this year's motto and the theme of sustainability..

The present church building was erected from 1424 as a "new chapel" for a miraculous image of the Virgin Mary. In 1425, a letter of indulgence from the Bishop of Naumburg contributed to the construction of the Gothic choir room.Theconstruction of the three-nave nave was interruptedin themiddle of the 15th century by the Saxon fratricidal war. Only further letters of indulgence from two popes ensured its continuation. From 1475 the west portal was built with the help of the master stonemason Peter Heierliß. The sculptor and master builder also worked between 1475 and 1494 as master builder on the town church of St. Michael and the Schiller Church, among others. The ruined section between the tower and the nave is a reminder of the demolition of thechoir, which was quite busy with pilgrims after its completion , and thus of the building work. In 1636 the choir was structurally separated, the three-nave nave is ruinous today.

Dhe choir room was built around 1430 with large-scale wall paintingsen which also bear witness to the medieval cult of the Virgin Mary. is. Entained has been on the north side of the choir the depiction of the Epiphany. Above this scene one sees three castles - probably the local mountaincastles north of Ziegenhain. The Gothic winged altar contains 353 student "entries" from the period 1591 to 1635. One of the few baroque pyramid altars preserved in Germany (1694) has been back in the sanctuary since 2016 after restoration and also the organ built by Justinus Ehrenfried Gerhard (1710 - 1786) can be can be heard again since the restoration in 1999 can be used again for church music events can be used.

In 1971 a separate room was created by a partition wall under the organ loft, which was converted into a heatable congregation room by 1987 and is now used as a winter church. In the year 1986 extensive renovation work began on the church, the in This year, thanks to the support of the Free State of Saxony, the renovation of the roof and the tower roof can be continued.

Zhe history of St. Mary's Church can be found here.

Church of St. Mary, Ziegenhain

Edelhofgasse 9

Open: 14:00 - 17:00 o'clock

Guided tours with Prof. K. Heide and other staff members

17:00 Service with Rev. Christoph Rymatzki

The house Markt 7 is the last gabled building on Jena's market square.

For the first time a residential house of the market miller was mentioned on this plot of land in 1319. The present house was built on older foundations in 1557 with a two-storey plinth construction, curtain arch windows, ogee arch portal and wooden parlour. After the demolition of the old market mill to the north, the building was supplemented in 1908 by a residential and commercial building designed by Johannes Schreiter for the wine merchant Paul Göhre. was added.

In 1983 - 1986 the Alte Göhre was rebuilt and renovated to make it usable for the Jena City Museum. In the process, the entrance at Marktgässchen was closed and access to the upper floors was provided by a staircase in the connecting building between the Old and New Göhre.

During a during a planned facade renovation in 1997, considerable damage to the of the constructive structure was discovered, which had probably been caused by unsuitable materials used in the 1980s. After weighing up the arguments it was decided at the time the decision was made at the time to demolish the half-timbered 2nd storey and the roof structure and to rebuild them as carpentry. This extensive renovation took place from 1998 to 2001. The historic building structure was largely preserved on the ground floor and 1st floor. The reconstruction was carried out in the historical appearance.

After 20 years a new renovation was due this year, which primarily affected the façade, but also the building services. During a guided tour around the Dr. Ulf Häder explains the current measures to interested visitors.

Old & New Göhre (City Museum)
Market 7

Guided tour 10:30 am with Dr. Ulf Häder (Museum Director)
Meeting point: Inner courtyard Romantikerhaus

Advance booking required: by telephone at the Romantikerhaus Jena at 0049 3641 49-8249 or by e-mail to bildung-stadtmuseum@jena.de

The three-storey half-timbered building with a massive entrance area was originally equipped with exposed half-timbering. It was built around 1669 as a residential house with a private lecture hall for the music professor and philosopher Adam Drese on older foundations. It was located on the edge of the walled city area.

In 1795 the philosopher Johann Gottfried Fichte acquired the house and kept it until his dismissal in 1799. Around Fichte gathered the circle of early romantics led by the brothers Wilhelm and Friedrich Schlegel with their wives. The period between 1785 and 1803 can be described as a heyday for Jena. The city developed the most progressive intellectual center in Germany and attracted many people with its open intellectual and cultural climate attracted important philosophers, theologians, poets and natural scientists.

The Romantikerhaus is the last residential building inthis area of the city from this glorious period. A little further along the Löbdergraben north of Saalstraße, however, you can still find the lecture hall building to Griesbach's residence.

The Fichte or Romantic House was no longer habitable after being vacant for several years at the end of the 1970s. At this time, the city councildecided to convert it for museum purposes. After extensive renovation, the Memorial to German Early Romanticism was opened here in 1981. In 1998/99, another comprehensive renovation took place on the basis of a detailed architectural-historical investigation.

Romantic House
Unterm Markt 12a

Open: 10:00 - 18:00 hrs

In no city did Friedrich Schiller stay longer than in Jena. Of the five houses that the poet and professor inhabited during this time, only his garden house remains as a public memorial.

The house was built around 1740 over older cellars. The estate was situated on the edge of the southern suburb on the Leutra, which at that time ran in a deep ditch, was surrounded by meadows and fields and offered a wide view of the surrounding area. Schiller purchased the house and garden in March 1797 and moved into the house with his family on May 2, 1797. In 1798 he had the Gartenzinne built on the southwest corner of the property on old foundations, a tower-like structure with a bathroom on the ground floor and a writing room on the upper floor. Parts of "Wallenstein", "Maria Stuart" and various ballads were written here. Although Schiller moved to Weimar in 1799, he did not sell the property until 1802.

Today, there are more Schiller monuments in his Jena garden than in almost any other place in Germany. In 1818, the garden battlements had to be removed due to dilapidation; they were reconstructed in 1978/79. Only a few years after Schiller's death, the first Jena observatory was built on the property at the request of Duke Carl August. In addition to the residential house, the garden pinnacle and the kitchen house can also be viewed.

Schiller's garden house
Schillergäßchen 2

Open: 11:00 - 17:00 o'clock

Due to the very limited space, only one group at a time (family group) may be admitted. We ask for your understanding for the resulting waiting times. Mouth and nose protection must be worn inside the house.

Here you can visit the garden house virtually.

In the immediate vicinity of the historic old town lies a cultural-historical and now also urban-ecological treasure: the Johannisfriedhof.

The romantic cemetery was already mentioned in 1307 and extended several times until the 19th century. Originally it belonged to the church of St. Johannis Baptist. The church of St. John the Baptist, which was consecrated on 16 July 1693, forms the centre of the cemetery today. In the park-like designed today still approx. 1.8 hectares large plant are a multiplicity of graves of important Jena personalities, among them also those of Döbereiner, Kreußler or Carl Zeiss. Some of them are of such outstanding cultural-historical importance that their restoration was also supported by the German Foundation for the Protection of Monuments.

For a number of years, the Johannisfriedhof Friends' Association has been committed to the preservation and maintenance of this valuable site. The Johannisfriedhof is not only worthy of protection as a cultural monument of cultural and historical value. In view of increasing densification and climate change, the importance of the Johannisfriedhof as an inner-city green oasis is growing. The old trees, hedges and shrubs not only offer people a place to relax and recharge their batteries, but the cemetery has now also become home to many animals.

Due to this enormous importance, the Johannisfriedhof was included in the urban development programme "Zukunft Stadtgrün". With this financial support, the preservation of historical monuments, nature conservation, urban redevelopment and the association are working together on a sensitive redevelopment and partial restoration of the cemetery.

Historic Johannis Cemetery
Philosophenweg 1

Open: 11:00 - 16:00

ztthe same time: Johannismarkt - ecological - creative - enjoyable(market programme)

Guided tours: 12:00, 13:00 o'clock, 14:00 Clock and 15:00 Clock by members of the association (The number of participants is limited to 10 per guided tour, pre-registration is not necessary).

Meeting point: Entrance "Straße des 17. Juni".

On the bike tour along the Saale, monuments are viewed from the outside in a completely hygienic way. The interaction and the examination of the Saale as a connecting traffic route, as a natural "obstacle" to be bridged or as a supplier of energy and raw materials produced a multitude of material testimonies, some of which are cultural monuments.

The large bridges over the Saale are characteristic of the landscape: in the centre the Camsdorf Bridge, whose predecessor was one of the 7 wonders of Jena, to the south the old Burgau Bridge, which is today the oldest bridge in the urban area of Jena, and the motorway bridge near Göschwitz mentioned above. The tour begins at and in the church Kunitz. It leads past the Thalstein with its Erlkönig by Wenigenjena to Camsdorfer bridge - the land fortress must remain unfortunately outside - by the people's park Oberaue over the Burgauer bridge to the power station. There will be narrations and demonstrations.

Meeting place: Church Kunitz (Martinskirche) - Kirchstraße 70

Time: 13:00

Since the day of the open monument falls on a Sunday, naturally also some of our monument-protected churches will be open for their regular services. Because of the Corona pandemic. the number of people is usually limited. We ask that you give priority to parishioners here. Dhe visit is only possible with mouth and nose protection. At the entrance, visitors are registered by name and with their contact details.

  • City Church of St. Michael

    Church Square 1

    • 10:00 am Children's service with Pastor Johannes Bilz

    • 18:00 Sunday Vespers with music and Pastor Johannes Bilz

    • St. Michael's Town Church is open as a place of rest, reflection and personal devotion following the service until 5:00 pm.

    • Guided tours will take place digitally only this year (see Digital Offerings below).

    In place of two Romanesque predecessor buildings, a Gothic church of distinction was built from the last quarter of the 14th century onwards, which shows references to Bohemian and Upper Silesian parish art. The architectural highlight of the church, which is designed as a star-vaulted, stepped hall with a choir that can be stepped under, is the filigree bridal portal, which has been restored in recent years in accordance with the preservation order. With the construction of the late gothic hall church, a new chancel was created under the high altar under Ein addition, an initially flat-roofed sacristy with a representative vestibule was built under the high altar, incorporating older parts of the wall. After later vaulting and partial use as a chapel of the saints St. Elisabeth and Ägidius, the rooms were rebuilt from 1672 as a family crypt for the dukes of Saxe-Jena. The church originally had a high Gothic saddleback roof, which was replaced by a mansard roof in the 18th century. After its destruction at the end of the Second World War, only a simple gable roof could be rebuilt at first. In the course of a comprehensive renovation starting in the 1990s, the nave of the town church was again provided with a mansard roof - although not in the historical construction.

  • Church of the Resurrection, Drackendorf

    At the Goethepark 3

    • 9:00 a.m. Church service with pastor Antje Leschik

    • 5:00 p.m. Concert of the series "sacred evening music": "Magic of the quiet sounds - Lute works by J.S. Bach, S.L. Weiss and others Solo concert Konzertante alto zither with Rainer Schmidt (Heidelberg)

    The church, situated at the edge of the Drackendorf landscape park, goes back to a Romanesque predecessor building. Parts of the church building probably date back to the 13th century. 1653 - 1656 the rebuilding and partial new building took place under inclusion chancel and the lower part of the tower of a Gothic predecessor building through the donation of the patron Christian Beer. The nave, the south porch and the upper part of the tower were newly built. The galleries built in 1786 were removed during the renovation in 1867. by Baurat Spittel already demolished again. In 1970 some rebuildingsions were made to expand the use of the church by the new building area Lobeda. The patronage was before 1945 in the hands of the noble families Puster, von Ziegesar and von Helldorf.

  • Church St. Peter, Lobeda

    Susanne-Bohl-Straße

    • 10:00 a.m. Church service with pastor Maria Krieg

    The present late Gothic church building was erected between 1480 and 1510 in place of an older church already mentioned in 976 and 1228 and destroyed in 1446 in the Saxon fratricidal war. The choir was added at the end of the 15th century. Further alterations are attested by building inscriptions for 1622. The interior contains valuable late Gothic wall and ceiling paintings, including monumental representations of St. Christopher and the Madonna in the halo, which have been sensitively restored in recent years. In 1749/50 the nave was vaulted and the double galleries as well as the organ loft and the organ by Johann Heinrich Scherff were installed. Watch a video recording with Ralf Krieg

  • Winzerla, church

    Teichgasse

    • 10:00 a.m. church service with pastor Friederike Costa

    Dhe church, founded as a branch of Burgau, was built in 1716 -1718 as a replacement for an older building. older building. The old village church was burned down by imperial troops in 1637. which was rebuilt after the Thirty Years War after the Thirty Years War already in 1716 so severe structural damage that that the community decidedto build a new church. The new building made of shell limestone shows a one-nave nave and a squarenin the upper part octagonaln The choir tower was built with a curved dome. The interior dates back to 1818. For the 100th anniversary, two galleries, organ and pulpit altar were newly built. In 1934 the whole church was repainted..

  • Church of St. Mary, Zwätzen

    Pfarrgasse

    • 10:00 service with pastor Mariana Willner

    Dibuilt in the 12th century Romanesque church with a transverse rectangular choir was since the 13th century part dof the Commandery of the Teutonic Knights. The settlement of the Teutonic Knights in Zwätzen was first mentioned in a document in 1221. The ecclesiastical development is closely connected with the order. The name Marienkirche (Church of Our Lady) is reminiscent of the chapel of Our Lady in the hospital in Acre, which was established by citizens of Lübeck and Bremen and from whose brotherhood the Teutonic Knights emerged. At the end of the 15th century, after the demolition of the Romanesque choir, the church was extended by a Gothic choir and a side chapel. Between 1513 and 1597 the tower was built. In the 2nd half of the 17th century, the church was again extensively rebuilt: the nave was raised and the choir was extended to the south. The interior was redesigned in 1991-93 on the basis of restoration findings. One of the oldest village church doors in Central Germany can be found on the Marienkirche, dating back to 1223. Also significant are the dcarved altar from 1517 with the figure of the priests Hugo von Zwätzen, a late Romanesque Christ figure, the Baroque organ by master organ builder Scherff from Pößneck as well as grave slabs with the coats of arms of the land and house commanderies of the Teutonic Knights, epitaphs, the baroque tomb with segmental gable for Anna Sophia v. Treschow and the dugout chest from the 13th century.

  • KChurch of the Fourteen Helpers in Need, Vierzehnheiligen

    In the village 41

    • 10:00 a.m. Church service with Rev. Cornelia Gerlitz (max. 30 persons)

    During the Saxon fratricidal war (1446-1451) numerous villages and their churches fell into ruins. As atonement for the devastation caused, Duke Wilhelm III had the village and church of Vierzehnheiligen built on a site which he had taken from his selfish advisors Busso and Apel v. Vitzthum. As the inscription on the buttress shows, the church wasbuilt in 1453 - 1464 . The main altar in the east was dedicated to Mary, and altars for other saints were placed all around the walls. The place of pilgrimage created by the sovereign attracted help-seekers and sinners seeking healing or remission of sins. In 1467 the fortified tower was completed. With the Reformation, the church lost its function as a place of pilgrimage and the 14 altars were dismantled. From then on, the building served as a village church. After a fire destroyed the high spire in 1775, it was replaced by today's low tent roof. In 1801 the choir was demolished due to dilapidation. During the Battle of Jena/Auerstedt the church was used as a military hospital for a time.. On the occasion of theOn the occasion of the100th anniversary of the Battle of Jena/Auerstedt ,the church was redesignedin thehistoricist taste of the time asa ceremonial church and a war memorial was erected in front of the church . In 2006 , the comprehensive renovation and restoration of the interiorwascompleted.

Open Church

Some of the wonderful village churches open their doors every weekend.

Also here applies: Visit only with mouth and nose protection.

  • Church Cospeda

    Kirchgasse

    • 10:00 - 18:00: open church

    In 1699 the small hall church was built as the third church building on this site. Parts of the previous buildings, such as the Romanesque choir and the triumphal arch, were integrated. The nave is spanned by a wooden barrel vault. The bell chamber, whose oldest bell dates back to the 1st half of the 15th century, is now the home of the protected bat species lesser horseshoe bat. The church congregation has already received several awards for its commitment to species protection. In addition to a baroque altar and an eaves stone from the 17th century, the interior of the church contains a valuable organ built in 1906 by the Eifert company from Stadtilm, which was rededicated in 2015 after successful restoration.

  • Church of St. Nicolaus, Lützeroda

    • 14:00 - 18:00 h: open church

  • The church is a Romanesque structure that was remodelled in later centuries. The longitudinal rectangular choir is still preserved from the Romanesque building. A Romanesque window bricked up on the south wall of the tower and remains of Romanesque masonry on the south side of the nave are also reminiscent of this antechamber. The nave itself dates from more recent times. The baroque tower extension was built around 1719. The present door and window openings also date from the bafroque rebuilding phase. The baptismal fontwith the date 1590 on its octagonal base bears an older top. The pulpit basket dates from 1689.

  • Kirch Church of the Fourteen Helpers in Need, Vierzehnheiligen

    In the village 41

    • after the service until 18:00 o'clock open church

    Description see above

  • Church Krippendorf

    At the Gönnabach 7

    • 9:00 - 18:00 h: open church

    The Krippendorf church also has Romanesque roots. It is assumed that the almost square tower base originally belonged to a secular building. The actual church building developed around1300 by opening the tower walls to the east and west and the subsequent addition of the choir and nave. As an inscription on the tower shows, the present form essentially goes back to building measures of 1629. In 1825 the vault under the tower collapsed. In its place a groined vault was built. During the renovation measures between 1989-1994, the choir vault was painted as a celestial vault on the basis of fragmentary remains from the time around 1500. In the year 2000 the organ from the 1st half of the 18th century from the organ workshop of Bartholomäus Heinemann from Großlöbichau, which had already been thoroughly overhauled in 1880 by the organ workshop Kühn from Schmiedehausen, could be restored.

II. digital offers

Here you will find an overview of the digital formats in the form of videos, virtual tours and online tours.

The so-called Binderburg, which can be seen from afar on the cliff overlooking the Saale valley, was built in 1906 - 1910 according to designs by Prof. Adolf Binder as a residence for his family as an extension of an existing country house. In reference to the cultural-historical site of the former castle, the villa in neo-Romanesque castle style recapitulates the medieval palace building. In the centre of the east-west oriented building stands the massive square crenellated tower, which is adjoined in the spandrel by an octagonal half-timbered tower with a pointed tent roof. Even the quotation of a Romanesque semicircular apse with a dwarf gallery can be seen on the villa.

The interplay of quarry stone masonry and half-timbering underlines the reference to castle construction. Binder also followed his design idea in the interior down to the smallest detail. Thus, there are corresponding door jambs, vaulting and ceiling constructions, coloured wall frames, but also bull's-eye windows and ornaments on cube capitals. On the outside, round-arched friezes and multi-part domed round-arched windows can be seen.

The specific design of the villa has a high symbolic value, as it conveys "the impression of the continued existence of the historical complex". This effect is reinforced by the character of the site and its surroundings.

Since 2003, the Binderburg, which is a listed building, has been gradually restored to its former glory, mainly with the help of our own efforts.

Video about the Binderburg

Guided tours will take place digitally this year using the 3-D model. To the digital church tour

Mr. Gebauer will lead a live tour of the Stadtkirche on various topics

  • 1 p.m. Luther plate
  • 2 p.m. Epitaphs and crypt
  • 3 p.m. general building history of the town church
  • 4 p.m. Roof and tower

The conference room will be switched on the hour, the guided tour will start a little later. Duration per guided tour approx. 20 - 30 min.

In place of two Romanesque predecessor buildings, a Gothic church of distinction was built from the last quarter of the 14th century onwards, which shows references to Bohemian and Upper Silesian parish art. The architectural highlight of the church, which is designed as a star-vaulted, stepped hall with a choir that can be stepped under, is the filigree bridal portal, which has been restored in recent years in accordance with the preservation order.

With the construction of the late Gothic hall church, an initially flat-roofed sacristy with a representative vestibule was also created under the high altar. Both rooms were accessed from the west side axially symmetrically to the church axis. After later vaulting and partial use as a chapel of St. Elisabeth and St. Ägidius, the rooms were rebuilt from 1672 as the family crypt of the Dukes of Saxe-Jena. Parts of the sacristy were used as the family crypt of the Dukes of Saxe-Jena from 1672.

German Optical Museum (D.O.M.)

Built in 1923/24 by DYWIDAG as a reinforced concrete structure according to plans by Schreiter and Schlag, the building housed Germany's first optics school until 1997. The decision to build the new building had already been made by the Carl Zeiss Foundation in 1917. ena. In 1976, the Optical Museum, which had been located in the Prinzessinnenschlösschen since 1965, moved into the building and now fills it alone with its rich holdings.

The façade is dominated by a mighty 7-axis central risalit with a colossal arcade arrangement. The spandrels are decorated with stylized acacias. The keystone above the entrance door contains a stylized eye. The basement contained large workshop rooms, laboratories and darkrooms. The reading room, social rooms and refraction room were on the ground floor, while the lecture halls, drawing room and teaching materials collection were on the first floor.

In the future, the Ernst Abbe Foundation plans to connect these buildings directly with the hall building of the Volkshaus by means of an intermediate building. During the current renovation work, the lecture hall is also to be "excavated" in its original version. The wall paintings have been preserved and are only hidden under thick layers of recent paint. The wooden chairs have also been preserved to this day. The large mural in the staircase, on the other hand, has in fact been largely destroyed.

Professor Mappes will guide you through "his house" on the basis of the 3-D model.

  • The guided tour "From the Optics School in 1923/1924 to the D.O.M. in 2023" - starts at 11:00 am.
  • Registration
    Each participant must enter a password. The password is: D.O.M.

For many years, the Lower Monument Protection Authority, Kommunalservice Jena (KSJ/tree care) and the Lower Nature Conservation Authority (wood protection) have been working together and noticed early on that their goals are very similar. The valuable natural and cultural assets can only be protected and preserved together. As is well known, the willingness to care for and protect something grows with enthusiasm and empathy for the cause; we can only love what we know.

From this realization the idea arose to draw attention to very special trees in Jena on the Day of the Open Monument. These are trees which are to be found in protected parks/green spaces, in monument ensembles and which particularly shape the appearance of monuments or which represent important points in the cultural landscape. A selection of the "favourites" has been recorded with photos and text to encourage you to go on a tree tour yourself. Own photos are gladly accepted by the lower monument protection authority around the fund to extend. The focus of the Open Monument Day in this year 2020 is on the sustainability theme and offers the opportunity to once again highlight the common objective.

You can view the constantly growing collection via the link Special Trees.

General information about creating a 3D model:
NADIR and lateral images are taken of the target object using a drone. NADIR is the term used to describe images taken exactly at a 90° perpendicular angle. The camera is in the zenith, the object in the NADIR. The larger the object or the recording area, the more shots are needed.
The images are then loaded into the Agisoft Metashape Professional program, where they are first aligned to ensure that they are all in the correct place. The next step is to create a dense point cloud and then a grid mesh. Finally, a texture is added to this. This involves projecting the pure images onto the mesh. This is how the finished 3-D model looks so much like the real thing

The 3D models of important Jena monuments, taken by the GeoInformation team of the city of Jena, were provided by rooom AG.

Lobdeburg Castle

The Lobdeburg, built on a mountain spur south of the small town Lobeda (district Jena), belongs to the historically and architecturally most interesting castles of Thuringia and to the most important cultural monuments of the city Jena. The castle complex was built after the middle of the 12th century as the seat of power of a noble family from the Swabian-Franconian region, which subsequently named itself after it.

The most important remnant of the former buildings is the residential tower, which was erected over an area of 9 x 11 metres with three full storeys. It dates back to the castle's founding phase and has been largely preserved to this day. The building shows rich Romanesque architectural decoration, especially in the door and window openings. Particularly noteworthy is an elaborately designed window front on the south side of the upper storey. Two round-arched double arcades with inserted columns are framed on the outside by a recessed wall field with a scale frieze on the upper edge. Inside the residential tower the remains of two representative fireplaces have been preserved. In the northern part of the residential tower, the castle chapel with an eastward projecting apse and flanking round-arched windows can be accessed on the upper floor. In addition to this building complex, the stump of a cistern tower for the water supply and parts of the enclosure walls have been preserved.

Since 1998, the castle ruins have been the subject of extensive restoration efforts by the city of Jena. The work was accompanied by archaeological investigations. The excavations concentrated primarily on the southern area of the castle and provided detailed information on the construction process, on parts of the building that no longer exist today, and on later alterations. In the area investigated, parts of a total of 14 previously unknown buildings of various functions and periods were uncovered and documented. The former castle entrance in the southeast corner is also visible again today. Several hundred thousand small finds, mostly pottery sherds and animal bones, but also fragments of iron, non-ferrous metal, bone and glass utensils, have been recovered from the castle area, shedding light on the living culture of the castle inhabitants and underlining the elevated social status of their former owners. Burn marks and pieces of armament and equipment bear witness to warlike conflicts.

Today, the castle complex, located on the "Transromanica", a cultural route leading through Europe on the traces of the Romanesque period, is a popular destination for hikers and tourists. (Dr. Frank Rupp)

Bismarck Tower

The first considerations for the construction of a memorial to the former Chancellor of the German Empire Bismarck were already made in 1899. Thanks to donations from, among others, the zoologist Ernst Haeckel, the publisher Neunhenhahn and large parts of the student body as well as associations, it was possible to erect the tower in 1906-1908 according to designs by Wilhelm Kreis under the direction of the city building director Bandtlow. The stone eagles were created by the Jena sculptor Otto Späte (sen.) The 21 m high tower, erected in an exposed position on the so-called Malakoff, is of solid construction made of limestone ashlars. On the ground floor, the tower is preceded by a pillar walkway with 18 supports, which carries the balcony on the 1st floor. Above the platform rises the dome, whose buttresses are crowned with eagles.

On the top of the tower there was a fire bowl of 4m in diameter. The style is reminiscent of the tomb of Theoderic the Great in Ravenna, making the Bismarck Tower in Jena one of eleven individually designed towers by architect Wilhelm Kreis. 47 other Bismarck towers were built according to the so-called Bismarck Tower standard design "Götterdämmerung". The tower urgently needs to be renovated. (Elke Zimmermann)

Open Monument Day 2019

"Modern(e): Upheavals in Art and Architecture".

The German Foundation for Monument Protection has taken the occasion of the 100th Bauhaus anniversary this year, which is already being celebrated lively in Thuringia, to address upheavals in art and architecture and, accompanying or preceding them, in society. Modernity always means processes of change, which in their time were meant and understood as a reform, a new beginning. Thus, the focus is placed on monuments that represent technical advances, innovative constructions or materials, or revolutionary ideas and social upheavals.

Jena's urban landscape shows a multitude of such breaks, innovations in its architectural heritage and its artistic landscape. In this respect, wonderful examples could again be assigned to this year's motto. Some monuments will also be looked at again, but from different angles and under different questions. Together with "our" committed monument owners, craftsmen and restorers, we have tried to put together a colourful programme appropriate to the motto. Many thanks to all! Almost 40 monuments from Ammerbach, Burgau, Drackendorf to Winzerla, Ziegenhain and Zwätzen are open to interested visitors.

This year. we are receiving special support from Jenaer Nahverkehr/the Verkehrsverbund Mittelthüringen. The VMT invites on the monument day to the VMT Discovery Day a. At the same time the Jena local traffic opens the tram depot in Dornburger Straße 17. The halls, built in 1900/01, 1930 and 1948, with their brick and reinforced concrete construction methods reflect the structural development of transport engineering buildings in the 20th century. The 3-bay reinforced concrete hall with its multi-curved shell roof in the Zeiss-DYWIDAG system was particularly noteworthy at the time of construction. The technical equipment located in the workshop halls, e.g. a grinding channel together with the grinding machine anchored in it, induction coil or maintenance platforms are still functional. In addition, the historic railcars number 26 from 1929 and number 101 from 1959 shuttle between Nordschule and Lobeda-West.

A cumulation point of the Monument Day 2019 - the historic town center of Burgau - can therefore be approached with historic railcars. For the Day of Open Courts, you can experience music and craftsmanship between 13:00 and 17:00 in the three- and four-sided courtyards along Geraer Straße/Brunnengasse in Burgau. The Dreifaltigkeitskirche and the Pfarrhaus are also open. In the Saale power station you can see how the electricity needed to run the trams is generated. Guided tours are offered here between 12:00 and 14:30. And while the so-called "Binderburg" looms on top of the mountain spur and there is cake to music in the castle garden, the landlord guides you through the cave below.

The university has helped shape the history of the city and the cityscape for centuries. Rethinking, thinking ahead, rethinking - are terms that are directly associated with the university. The Alte Wucherey at Fürstengraben 23 is one of the objects that bear the traces of numerous ruptures accumulated over the centuries, such as conversions, changes in architectural language, but also changes in the history of the city and the university. The architect Peter Tandler and the building researcher Lutz Scherf will explain their current research results to the interested public during guided tours from the basement to the first floor. The guided tours will be offered every hour from 10 am to 2 pm. The Phyletisches Museum Vor dem Neutor 1, which goes back to the initiative and ideas of Ernst Haeckel, will also be open.

Jena's church landscape is a real treasure chest. On Sunday, some of them will again provide very special insights. The city church of St. Michael can be explored with guided tours through the church interior, but also in the crypt. Through a special treasure, the late Romanesque church St. Nicholas in Ammerbach leads 15:00 Mrs. Dimmig. The Marienkirche in Ziegenhain also stands for upheavals.The unfinished pilgrimage church with its late Gothic choir bears witness towealth and decline, but also to pragmatism .The church is open from 10-17 o'clock. Guided tours are offered every half hour in the morning. Also open are the church ofSt. Peter in Lobeda, with itsmagnificent secco paintings , and the church of St. Marien in Zwätzen, built as early as the 12th century , with one of the oldest church doors in central Germany, St. Nikolai in Lichtenhain, with its outstanding exterior murals of cultural history, and the church in Winzerla. The rich program, which puts the promotion association Johannisfriedhof on selbigen again on the legs, you look at yourselves best in the brochure . The history of the Jena Carmelite monastery on Engelplatz is also varied. The area is particularly closely connected with one of the most radical and effective upheavals in European history - the Reformation. Mr. Rupp will explain the architectural findings at 10:00.

Technical, technological developments have shaped our living conditions and thus also the urban structure and society. These developments, technical/technological "revolutions" naturally also changed the local social, cultural and transport infrastructure. Thus, the industrial architecture of the ZEISS company not only changed the face of the city of Jena, it also influenced the development of industrial building. A growing city, expanding industry and the new electric tram caused the demand for electrical energy to increase enormously. The ZEISS company therefore endeavored to generate it from the 1890s onwards. In 1909, the Carl ZEISS company acquired the property of the Burgau mill, which was already generating electricity with a turbine system and generators at that time. In order to meet the growing demand, ZEISS had a water power plant built next to the old mill by Dyckerhoff & Widmann with a three-phase generator from AEG Berlin and 3 Francis turbines from Amme, Giesecke & Konegen. Together with the old plant, the Burgau power station generated 1000kW from 1912. During the fundamental overhaul of the power plant in 1938, the Francis turbines were replaced by Kaplan turbines. The Saale power plant Burgauthus became one of the most modern power plants of its time. As already mentioned under Burgau, it can be visited on Sunday.

In 1926, after a construction period of only 7 months, the 50kV hall of the Jena Nord substation, built according to plans by Bruno Röhr, could be connected to the grid. Connected to the 50kV switchgear Burgau (ZEISS), a stable 10kV network could be established in Jena. In the 1930s, the substation developed into the hub of the regional power supply. In 1942, it was supplemented by the construction of a 110kV hall and finally converted to 110kV feed-in. Today, Imaginata e.V. uses the technical monument and offers 1, 3 and 5 p.m. guided tours, for which advance reservations are requested.

The invention of the automobile not only changed travel times and travel patterns, but also the face of our cities and landscapes, as separate infrastructures were created or existing ones were adapted for this purpose. For example, the construction of so-called motorways. Landscapes were remodeled, valleys and rivers were spanned in unprecedented dimensions. The Thuringian State Office for Construction and Transport will open the Old Motorway Bridge of the BAB 4 in Göschwitz onSunday from 9:00 to 14:00. One can "dive" into the interior of the bridge and see interesting presentations. With 794m the longest bridge of the so-called Reichs-Autobahnprogramm in Thuringia was built from 1937-1939/41 of stamped concrete, reinforced concrete and clinker. In addition, 18,000 m³ of limestone and sandstone were used as building materials, with which the structure was clad and correspondingly sculptured and ornamentally designed. The bridge was to appear massive, defiant and massive and at the same time blend harmoniously into the landscape. The buildings of ancient Rome were taken as a model. The bridge was more than a traffic structure, it was symbolically and ideologically charged. Even the gargoyles refer to the high symbolic content of the bridge construction.

The only representative station building on the territory of today's Thuringia that was built during GDR times can also be visited. Today, it is run and maintained by Interkult e.V. as a cultural station and still has extensive furnishings from the period of construction. Guided tours are offered between 10:00 and 15:00.

One challenge of the urbanization associated with the Industrial Revolution was the lack of a hygienic infrastructure. Particularly as a result of the cholera epidemics in the 19th century, a rethinking began worldwide. Chairs of hygiene were established at universities. Cities were equipped with closed sewer systems and finally public baths were established. Using the example of Professor August Gärtner from Jena, who was also involved in local politics in these areas, the architectural traces of this development are sought in Jena. The tour starts at Semmelweißstraße in the Hygienic Institute, which itself is about to be fundamentally rebuilt, and then leads to the Volksbad, which has already undergone such a transformation.

Construction site tours are one of our favorite categories on Open Monument Day. Fortunately, we were again able to convince some builders to open their construction sites: One of the central construction sites and also one of the most interesting sites is the Volkshaus at Carl-Zeiß-Platz. Designed between 1901 and 1903 on the initiative of Ernst Abbe according to plans by Arwed Roßbach, the building ensemble was intended to serve the "instruction and intellectual stimulation of the workers". After extensive renovation work on the façade and the interior of the hall building, the reconstruction of the reading hall is now pending. At the moment there is a unique opportunity to view the building after it has been emptied and before any construction work has been carried out. Project officials are offering 10:00, 10:30, 11:00 and 11:30 tours.

At the northern end of the town lies another difficult "construction site" - the supra-regionally significant Zwätzen Old Manor . It has its origins in the Commandery of the Teutonic Knights, which was first mentioned in a document in 1221. In the first half of the 13th century, Zwätzen became the administrative centre of the newly established bailiwick of Saxony-Thuringia and, despite a later economic decline, remained the seat of the county commander until 1809. In the 16th century at the latest, the Zwätzen settlement developed into a large-scale estate, the basic structure of which has been preserved to this day despite having been altered. After the dissolution of the Order, the estate first came into Saxon royal possession and in 1815 into the possession of the Grand Duchy of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach. Through leases and guarantees, the Zwätzen estate was used for agricultural education and research across different political systems from the 1st half of the 19th century onwards. Since 2018, the building complex has been undergoing extensive renovations. There are 10:00 and 14:00 guided tours here.

Since 2017, the extensive construction measures in the so-called "Ricarda Huch House" at Löbdergraben 7 have been completed. The former fraternity house of the "Corps Agronomia Jenensis" was built in 1913 /14 according to plans by Johannes Schreiter. Numerous conversions have since left traces and eliminated others. In an extensive renovation, parts of the building were restored to its original appearance in 2017. Visitors will certainly be surprised.

...and sometimes the two are connected: for example, the villa Weinbergstraße 18, located in the villa district at the Landgrafen and following the spirit of the Bauhaus in its design, is a residential house for the family of Prof. Mentz designed by Schreiter & Schlag. His wife was the painter and graphic artist Frieda Mentz-Kessel. Some of her works still adorn the walls of the house today. 11:00, 13:00 and 15:00 the present owners, the Misselwitz family, offer guided tours of the house.

The fact that Schreiter & Schlag did not represent a pure doctrine, but were both extremely adaptable in design and layout depending on the wishes of their clients, is shown by the director of the Bauaktenarchiv on her city tour "From Heimatstil to classical modernism". It begins at 10:00 in the exhibition in the planetarium. The office of Schreiter & Schlag is responsible for approximately 1500 of the buildings constructed in the city between 1919 and 1952. The spectrum ranges from industrial buildings to housing estates with small animal stables, from the planetarium to the Fuchsturmklause. Registration is requested for the city tour. This is possible on 04 and 05 September 2019 from 09:00 to 12:00 and 14:00 to 16:00 under the telephone number 03641 495141.

A guided tour by the Jena city guide Mr Herzog is dedicated to the basics of Bauhaus thought and its Jena examples. It starts at 10:00 am at the Abbe monument by van de Velde and leads through the villa district past the Abbeanum and the student house. The student house by Bartning and Neufert itself will be presented at 14:00 by employees of the student union. It still impresses today with its light-flooded deep rooms, its functionality and aesthetics.

The architect's intensive involvement with classical modernism and in particular the formal language of Mies van der Rohe cannot be denied by the Glass House in Paradise, designed by Friedhelm Schubring in 1974. It is one of the more recent treasures of the Jena monument landscape. The association Glashaus im Paradies, which has been taking care of this gem since 2005, will open its doors on Sunday from 14:00 to 17:00.

A trip to the forest is also worthwhile again. The forest tower, Bismarck tower and forest observatory are open. And in the small idyllic town of Laasan, the town hall and brewery are in new splendour after extensive structural reinforcement and facade renovation.

JenaKultur is once again supporting the Open Monument Day in a proven manner and is opening the Abbe Monument on Carl-Zeiß-Platz as well as Johannistor, Pulverturm and Stadtmauer. In the anniversary year, the adult education center will also participate and open Grietgasse 17a.

In addition, the local history society Drackendorf opens the historical pavilion in Drackendorf Park from 10:00 to 14:00. 15:00 there will also be a concert under the theme "Think Mozart".

The Schillergarten and Schillers Gartenhauswill also be open on Sunday from 11:00 to 17:00. 11:00 and 14:00 guided tours through the house and garden will be offered, 15:00 Sven Schlotter will explain the history of a monument in the Schillergarten in his lecture "Hofrat Schmidt und die Schwestern Wunderlich".

Change: The tram depot opens from 12:00 - 17:00, 13:00, 14:30 and 16:00 there are guided tours with Mr. Spath.

Open Monument Day 2018

"Discover what connects us" - this is the motto of the nationwide Open Monument Day 2018, a direct reference to the European Year of Cultural Heritage "Sharing Heritage", which was proclaimed by the European Union for 2018. The focus is on experiencing, recording and preserving our diverse cultural heritage that has grown out of cultural and social exchange.

A broad spectrum of projects within the theme year and many events on the Open Monument Day would like to encourage people in Europe and on their own doorstep to discover what unites them - in materials, formal languages, technologies, utopias, buildings and people... but also to perceive and reflect on what divides, excludes and destroys.

Thuringia-wide opening of the Open Monument Day 2018

Already on Saturday, 08.09.2018, the Thuringia-wide opening of the Open Monument Day will take place at the Zeiss Planetarium Jena.

The ceremonial opening is hosted by the Thuringian State Chancellery in partnership with the State Office for the Preservation of Monuments and Archaeology, the Sparkassen-Kulturstiftung Hessen-Thüringen, the Förderverein Denkmalpflege in Thüringen and the City of Jena.

Both the motto of the monument day "Discover what connects us" and the cultural theme year Thuringia "Industrialization and social movement in Thuringia" form the framework for the diverse program.

  • 10.00 a.m. Ceremonial opening with presentation of the Thuringian Award for the Preservation of Historical Monuments
  • 12.00 - 16.30 Presentation of clubs and associations engaged in the preservation of monuments in combination with excerpts from various show productions in the cupola hall
  • 12.00 - 16.30 Presentation of clubs and associations involved in the preservation of historical monuments in the Planetarium

Participating are

  • Berggemeinschaft Landgraf e. V.
  • Berggesellschaft Forsthaus e. V.
  • Jenzig Society e. V.
  • Lobdeburg community 1912 e. V.
  • Jena church building society e. V.
  • Johannisfriedhof Jena e. V.
  • Glass House in Paradise e. V.
  • Imaginata e. V.
  • Technology History Jena e. V.
  • People's Observatory Jena e. V.
  • Photo club Jena 78 e. V.
  • Photo club UNIFOK Jena e. V.
  • Drackendorfer local history society e. V.
  • Support association Bären Lobeda e. V.
  • Cultural landscape Zwätzen e. V.
  • AG 1806 Jena e. V.

In addition, students of the Leonardo Comprehensive School will present the results of their work on monuments and memorials in Jena. The associations have put a lot of effort into the preparation in addition to their daily commitment and are looking forward to interested visitors.

Guided tours: 12:30/13:00 - 17:00 o'clock

From 12:30/13:00 o'clock different guided tours to and through Jena's cultural monuments are offered. The spectrum ranges not only from Abbe to Zeiss, but from Bauhaus to Zwätzen, from astronomy to cemetery history, from Damenviertel to Gartenstadt.

Please note: Participation in the guided tours is only possible by appointment. Please register by e-mail to anmeldung-denkmaltag@gmx.de or by telephone on 0176 27430275. This is still possible until Friday, 07.09. 12:00.

Program in Jena

As a university town, Jena does not only live from intellectual and cultural exchange, it is dependent on it and has profited abundantly from it. Evidence of this exchange can be found in many places. Some of them have become cultural monuments and are waiting to be discovered and experienced by you. Every year the motto is chosen in such a way that a large number of associations and connecting points can be found. Be it the river, the network of paths or connecting buildings, ideas and utopias such as those of the Reformation or more recent social and life-reforming ones, or be it formal languages and technologies. Sometimes architecture consciously builds bridges to the past and thus connects tradition and modernity, but sometimes it also consciously sets itself apart.

Together with "our" committed monument owners, craftsmen and restorers, we have tried to put together a colourful programme appropriate to the motto. On Sunday alone, thanks to the broad support, around 30 cultural monuments can be explored throughout the city.

University main building

For example, the university - after having to cancel last year - is opening the main university building.

  • Dr. Forster, custodian of the FSU, will offer guided tours here at 10:30 and 12:00.

The main university building was erected between 1905 and 1908 on the site of the demolished castle. Designed by the renowned architect and urban planner Prof. Theodor Fischer, it takes up the ground plan and formal language of the castle building without itself degenerating into historicist kitsch. At the same time, the design of the open space refers to the former fortifications.

A rich architectural decoration reflecting various influences, an elaborate interior design and various incorporated spolia from the demolished castle elevate the building complex to a total work of art. Incidentally, last year Ferdinand Hodler's monumental painting "Exodus of German Students to the War of Independence of 1813", which had been on the front wall of the assembly hall since the 1950s, was restored and then shown for the first time outside Jena in the Bonn Kunsthalle. You will also learn a lot about this work on Sunday.

Old motorway bridge of the A 4

Last year, the Thuringian State Office for Building and Transport also had to cancel at short notice. However, as promised, the ThLBV will open the Old Motorway Bridge of the BAB 4 in Göschwitz again this year.

  • From 10:00 to 14:00 you can "dive" into the interior of the bridge and see interesting presentations.

The 794m longest bridge of the so-called Reichs-Autobahnprogramm in Thuringia was built from stamped concrete, reinforced concrete and clinker from 1937-1939/41.

In addition, 18,000 m³ of limestone and sandstone were used as building materials, with which the structure was clad and correspondingly sculptured and ornamentally designed. The bridge was to appear massive, defiant and massive and at the same time blend harmoniously into the landscape. The buildings of ancient Rome were taken as a model. The bridge was more than a traffic structure, it was symbolically and ideologically charged. Even the gargoyles in the abstract form of the imperial eagle refer to the high symbolic content of the bridge construction.

Cycle tour along the Saale

The cycle tour along the river Saale is also about bridges. As a city on the river, Jena offers many points of contact to the motto of the monument day. The interaction and the examination of the Saale as a connecting traffic route, as a natural "obstacle" to be bridged or as a supplier of energy and raw materials brought forth a multitude of material testimonies, some of which are cultural monuments. The large bridges over the Saale are characteristic for the landscape: in the centre the Camsdorf Bridge, whose predecessor was one of the 7 wonders of Jena, to the south the old Burgau Bridge, which today is considered to be the oldest bridge in the urban area of Jena, and the already mentioned motorway bridge near Göschwitz.

The tour begins 9:30 o'clock at and in the church Kunitz. It leads past the Thalstein with its Erlkönig through Wenigenjena to Camsdorfer bridge and Landfeste, through the Volkspark Oberaue over the Burgauer bridge to the power station. In the Binderburg Mr. Willsch will give us a short guided tour. There will be narrations and demonstrations. Nobody has to ride the whole route, but unfortunately we can't give an exact time schedule.

Johannistor and Powder Tower

Connecting on one side, excluding on the other side is the medieval city fortification. Today, its former dimensions can only be understood from the remains on the western side of the old town. Johannistor and the Powder Tower, which was renovated this year, are open all day.

  • At 11:00 a.m. there will be a guided tour from the Powder Tower to the Anatomy Tower (including a visit to the Anatomy Tower) with the Jena city archaeologist Matthias Rupp.

Monuments of religious history

Religions can connect, but unfortunately also exclude. They can promote charity, but also hatred and violence. In Jena, numerous places significant in the history of religion participate in the Day of the Open Monument.

Carmelite monastery

There are, for example, the remains of the former Carmelite monastery, which were opened to the public last year after being restored in accordance with the preservation order. After the abolition of the monastery, which was only founded in 1414 as a result of the Reformation, a printing press was set up on the premises from 1553 onwards by order of Duke Johann Friedrich of Saxony. This served the publication of a new complete edition of Luther's works. For this purpose, in November 1553 the Duke granted the printer Johann Rödinger the privilege to exclusively print and distribute Luther's writings.

From 1555 onwards, German and Latin parts of the Jena edition of Martin Luther's writings as well as a corrected Luther Bible were produced here under the supervision of Georg Rörer and Nicolaus von Amsdorf. In addition, numerous other works of the Reformation were printed in the former monastery. Today, the sacristy and chapter house can be experienced again by the public as an authentic place of monastic life as well as the reform efforts of the 16th century and also present visitors with exciting archaeological finds, archives and other documents from the history of the town and the Reformation.

  • The monastery is open from 10:00 to 18:00, 11:00 and 15:00 Dr. Häder, director of the city museum Jena offers guided tours.

Old manor Zwätzen

At the other end of the city lies another supra-regionally important place of religious, but also scientific and economic history: the Old Manor Zwätzen. It has its origins in the Zwätzen Commandery of the Teutonic Knights, which was first mentioned in a document in 1221. In the first half of the 13th century, Zwätzen became the administrative centre of the newly established bailiwick of Saxony-Thuringia due to its importance and, despite later economic decline, remained the seat of the county commander until 1809. In the 16th century at the latest, the Zwätzen settlement developed into a large-scale estate, the basic structure of which has been preserved to this day despite having been altered. After the dissolution of the Order, the estate first came into Saxon royal possession and in 1815 into the possession of the Grand Duchy of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach.

At this time the old Zwätzen clay pipe factory from the time of the order was also given a new lease of life, in which drainage pipes had been fired in addition to jugs and stove tiles since around 1770. Chief building director Coudray, responsible for the coordination of the entire road, water and civil engineering in the Grand Duchy, ordered the recommissioning after an inspection in 1818. New "tube rides" with clay tubes from Zwätzen were then constructed in the Botanical Gardens, among other places, and also on the route between the Belvedere and the Roman Palace in Weimar.

Discover what connects us - sometimes it is clay pipes. By the way, from the first half of the 19th century onwards, the Zwätzen estate was used for agricultural training and research through leases and guarantees across various political systems. Among other things, the Haflinger breeding of the GDR started here with the stationing of breeding animals imported from Tyrol. Currently, the estate complex is undergoing extensive conversion and renovation.

  • The estate is open from 10:00 to 17:00.

Churches

It goes without saying that churches and cemeteries will be present. Visitors should take a closer look at the rich programme of lectures and concerts offered in the town church of St. Michael and also in the Johannis cemetery.

  • Also open are the wonderful church of St. Peter in Lobeda (10:00 - 17:00), which is decorated with magnificent secco paintings,
  • the church of St. Marien in Ziegenhain, built mainly in the 15th century, with its murals on the north wall, the Gothic winged altar and the Baroque pyramid altar (10:00 - 17:00),
  • the church in Winzerla, built in 1716-1718 to replace an older building (10:00 - 18:00), and the Dreifaltigkeitskirche in Burgau (10:00 - 18:00).

Parks and gardens

A special category of monuments are the historic parks and gardens. Three of these parks are included this year.

Schiller's Garden House, Volkspark Oberaue & Drackendorf Park

Dr. Schlotter from the Friedrich Schiller University will lead a tour of Schiller's garden house and garden at 11:00 a.m., the Volkspark Oberaue will be the topic of the bicycle tour, and in Drackendorf Park, Ms. Winkler from the landscape architecture firm Boock and the municipal tree conservationist Mr. Ecke will present the measures planned for the implementation of the development and maintenance concept at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.. In addition, the local history society will again be on site to tell stories and history of and from Drackendorf.

"Building sites"

Construction site tours are one of the favorite categories on the Open Monument Day. Fortunately, we were again able to convince some builders to open their construction sites:

People's House

One of the largest construction sites at the moment and also one of the most interesting is the Volkshaus on Carl-Zeiß-Platz. Designed between 1901 and 1903 on the initiative of Ernst Abbe according to plans by Arwed Roßbach, the building ensemble was intended to serve the "instruction and intellectual stimulation of the workers". Extensive renovation work is currently underway on the façade and interior of the hall building.

  • Those responsible for the project will explain these in guided tours. 11:00, 11:30, 12:00 and 12:30 there will be guided tours on interior renovation and reconstruction (max. 25-30 persons each), 11:00, 11:20, 11:40, 12:00, 12:20 and 12:40 on facade and roof renovation (max. 10 persons each).

Due to the necessary limitation, pre-registrations are required. These are accepted on 06.09. from 9:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00 under the telephone number (03641) 49-5141 or by mail denkmalamt@jena.de.

Villa Medusa (Ernst Haeckel House)

The restoration findings in the Villa Medusa (Ernst-Haeckel-Haus) are exciting. The former Haeckel residence, built in the style of a Roman Renaissance villa, has been used as a museum for Haeckel's scientific and artistic estate since 1920. Extensive restorative investigations of the original interior design have been carried out for the upcoming restoration.

  • Dipl. restorer M. Bruckschlegel will present the results of this work during guided tours at 10:00 and 11:30 am.

Bauhaus

In another villa district - at the Landgrafen - the villa Weinbergstraße 18, which follows the spirit of the Bauhaus in its design, opens its doors. Schreiter & Schlag designed the house for the family of Prof. Mentz. His wife was the painter and graphic artist Frieda Mentz-Kessel. Some of her works still adorn the walls of the house today.

  • 11:00, 13:00 and 15:00 the current owners, family Misselwitz, offer guided tours through the house.

Because we are on the subject of "Bauhaus". The Abbeanum, built according to plans by Gropius student Ernst Neuffert, also opens.

  • 14:00 and 15:00 you can take part in guided tours through the teaching and research building on Helmholtzweg.

Industrial building

Jena has been an industrial city for 150 years. The industrial buildings of Zeiss and Schott were once groundbreaking in their technology and aesthetics.

  • During the architectural tours of the former Zeiss main plant, you can get an idea of this at 10:00, 11:00, 14:00 and 14:30. You will visit buildings 7, 10 (with the factory observatory), 29 and the roof terrace of the administration tower.

From north to south and east to west

Finally, we would like to mention our localities:

  • In Jenaprießnitz the local association opens the communal brewery of 1764 from 10:00 to 17:00.
  • In Laasan the council and brewery house can be visited from 10:00 to 16:00 before the upcoming renovation.
  • In Lobeda the promotion association explains the reorganization measures in the inn "to the bear". One can enter here from 11:00 to 15:00 o'clock.

And also the mountain societies support this day: On the Landgrafen there are explanations about the history and work of the beautification association and the mountain societies, Forstturm and Bismarck tower stimulate to think about memory culture and offer "besides" most beautiful views. And in the forest observatory sun observations can be carried out.

All in all, the motto touches - once again - the core of monument culture and was therefore gladly adopted again by Jena as the motto for the municipal Open Monument Day.